Grants available for 2017 Volunteer Stream Monitoring in Michigan

January 25, 2017

MiCorps’ Volunteer Stream Monitoring Program (VSMP) is now accepting funding proposals under three different topical areas for grants beginning in 2017:

  • The Aquatic Macroinvertebrate Survey grants support volunteer work to monitor benthic macroinvertebrate communities and habitat characteristics in wadeable streams and rivers. The funds support training and water quality data collection helping state and local efforts to protect and manage water resources. The grants may be used to fund a local monitoring coordinator and/or purchase water quality monitoring supplies. There is a maximum dollar amount of $14,000 per grant award for two-year projects under this funding area.
  • The Aquatic Macroinvertebrate Survey start-up grants are for newly forming volunteer monitoring groups. Funds assist with designing a local monitoring program and strategy, or for development of a full proposal for a future Volunteer Stream Monitoring Program cycle. Start-up grant recipients have access to MiCorps resources and training. There is a maximum dollar amount of $3,000 per grant award for one-year projects under this funding area.
  • The Road/Stream Crossing Inventory grants will assist volunteer monitoring groups in establishing a volunteer-based program in which volunteers visit and assess the condition of stream crossings to protect and enhance streams throughout targeted watersheds. There is a maximum dollar amount of $8,500 per grant award for 13-month projects under this funding area.

(View the full announcement.)

Grant application packages including grant information and application instructions, are available at:,, and

Grant applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on February 21, 2017. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered for funding.

Questions about the grant application process should be directed to Dr. Paul Steen, Huron River Watershed Council, at 734-769-5123 or; or Ms. Marcy Knoll Wilmes, Water Resources Division, DEQ, at 517-284-5544 or